Step-by-Step Application Process
1. Check Your Department Deadlines
Each area operates on its own admissions schedule. Application deadlines for each department can be found in the Program Deadlines and Requirements area of this website.
2. Gather These Necessary Application Materials
- Transcripts of all schools attended
- Statement of background and goals
- Departmental questionnaire
- Graduate Assistantship/Fellowship Application
- Names and contact information for 3 recommendations. Recommendations can only be submitted online. Once you enter the email address, recommendations will automatically be sent the online recommendation form once you save their information in your application.
3. Create an Application Account and Submit Online
Click here to create your account.
4. Submit Official Transcripts
- The Registrar’s Office at your prior institution may mail your transcript directly to UAlbany’s Office of Graduate Admissions, or
- If you prefer that your prior institution mail your transcript to you, please make sure that you then mail the transcript to UAlbany in its original, sealed envelope.
Transcripts mailed by your prior institution, or by you, should be sent to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
University at Albany
1400 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12222
- Please note: If you have previously attended the University at Albany, you do not need to request a transcript from our Registar's Office to be sent to Graduate Admissions, unless you are applying for our School of Public Health programs through SOPHAS. For non-SOPHAS applications, the Office of Graduate Admissions will generate the transcript and upload it to your application account. If you are applying through SOPHAS you will need to request an official transcript be sent directly to SOPHAS.
- Please Note: Unofficial transcripts will be used in the admission review process. Official transcript are only required upon admission.
5. Submit Official Standardized Test Scores
- Many UAlbany departments require applicants to take a standardized test such as the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). Check the Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website to see if the department you are applying to requires applicants to take any standardized tests.
For more information about standardized tests, see the Standardized Tests for Admission section of this website.
Please note that several programs require area-specific statements of purpose, forms, questionnaires, or portfolio samples. Those too may be found within our Program Deadlines and Requirements section of this website, along with a link to the necessary forms.